Monday, August 11, 2008

The history of Beijing

Yesterday was a big day as Mom slightly mentioned. We started off the memorable day with a 4:15 wake up call:). We were off to Tien-anmmen Square where we would see the raising of the Chinese Flag by the army. Little did we know it would be pouring rain! So there we were in the at 4:30 sopping wet. It was well worth it; the army was very disciplined in its routine to raise the flag. There were many local people there to honor the flag wearing sandals and acting as if the rain was no big deal. Honoring the flag is clearly extremely important to the Chinese people. After a rest at home, the kids were off to the Forbidden City. We found the city to be HUGE. The City was built 600 years ago and was used by the Qing and Ming Dynasties with seperate buildings for each activity the emperor did...it was like an actual city. The architecture was beautiful and unique with intricate, colorful designs on the buildings. Charlie, the historian, asked tons of questions and we learned a lot about the luxurious life each emperor lived. Then we were off to Jess' game which was already explained and then to a Korean BBQ restaraunt right down the street from our hotel which was delicious. It was the best day so far!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Teresa! And Team Steffens!!! Or should i say, "ni hao!" I love that you guys are soaking up the china life over there! Tianenmen Square is so interesting but I can't believe everyone woke up at 4:15 am! That's the middle of the night! I am seriously impressed. I wanted to let you know that mike, sarah, and i spent the better part of the evening watching Jess's game on tivo and searching for you guys in the stands! The camera man would scan over to the USA cheering section each time they scored, and we would pause it and look for you. They really did zoom in close enough to see people's faces! Did you by chance have a huge flag that you were waving around? We'll definitely keep looking for you over the next few games! Jump up and down a lot (I'm sure that won't be a problem...) and you could get some serious air time! Keep enjoying china and GO USA!!! Love, annie

Jane Allen said...

Hi all,
Thanks for the great blogging. Sounds like you're all getting a great education as well as watching some incredible polo!! The Allen fam watched together last night and we all got the goosebumps seeing Jess!! They got quite a few closeups on her - Lindsay kept saying "I can't believe I'm watching Jess in the Olympics!!!" We are all sooo proud of her. And let us know if you have any distinctive clothing so we can try to find you in the stands! I know I heard your Dad screaming and whistling!!! Enjoy, and keep it coming!!! xoxo all Allens

Aunt Nance said...

Good descriptions Teresa! Annie is right... the people with the biggest signs and obnoxious outfits are getting some play.... SO, Charlie, we'll expect some face paint or large hats or something. We all wish we could be there to scream in person with you.. Enjoy every moment!

Unknown said...

Hey T! Love the effort you guys made to see the Chinese in action. Is there a decent cup of coffee anywhere around? Starbucks, perhaps. I'd be all over that! I'll ditto A-Lo in that I have been pausing and rewinding our dvr to check out Jess and the stands! Hilarious...you gotta love dvrs. Seriously, I was looking for one of Los' wild shirts, but to no avail, yet! I must say that pretty much all of Danville knows about Jess now...or should I say anyone in Danville that I run in to...can't quite keep my proud mouth shut. I've even told the checkout gal at Lunardi's! Thanks for keeping us all in the loop...your posts have been great!!!

Anonymous said...

OK, I know I'm being a huge stalker by posting twice on the same blog entry, but I wanted to tell you that YOU GUYS WERE JUST ON TV!!!!!!!!!! TWICE!!!!! Right before the end of the second half and right before Jess scored her goal. Charlie in the gray shirt... carlos in the white hat... it was a BEAUTY! Keep holding that flag marge, it really does the trick!!! GOOD WORK!

Love, Annie

Trenk Fam said...

seriously love to read your entries about your adventures. You all seem to be absorbing so much of the culture while there even with the camera mishap...keep it up.

And oh..ok..so what's DVR? I just get up at live action time, 2:00 am or 1:00 am or whenever, to watch on our computer...I had to enter that I live in Orinda as a Comcast customer in order to do so, but hey, we have an Olympian relative! ...so exciting to see Jess play so well, and to catch a glimpse of the crew in the stands..yes the hats do help. Stay healthy and happy :) Patty